Friday, June 26, 2009

RIP jackson!



I woke up at four today. I don't know why I did but, I did. Jackson succumbs to a cardiac arrest, they said. Five minutes and ten sites later, I gave in to the truth. I haven't listened to MJ in the last decade but I have patronized BSB, Abba, Elvis which were much before I even came to this world , but I had forgotten MJ whose music I grew up to and with.
I put on my never used playlist of MJ songs, song after song bits and pieces of the past flashed through my eyes. Most family get-togethers would have one common factor those days and that was the music. We were careful enough to divide time between our two favourites those days-Baba sehgal (oh yes!!) and the aforementioned King of Pop. I liked Pop and particularly Jackson because my brother liked him. One of the best things about growing up with an elder brother is you know what you must like, what the brother follows you follow, what he likes you like! Things are very different now, of course.
The family would sit in a circle, as the brother and I would take the black tiled centre stage. We went in ellipses albeit in our own orbits. Jumped up and down, moved our hands, stretched our feet, collided, fell down, got up back again and also did imaginary hooplas. When, I watched one such video a few days back, I bashfully put my head down at my own stupidity. The mother called it "rendu perukum saami vandha madhiri iruku" as the video watching crowd burst into peals of laughter that are still echoing. Our theatrics were a theatrical disaster. After we would dance for 20 minutes or so, I would be taken aside and the centre stage would be the exclusive property of my brother. People would cheer and jeer as though it was Mr.MJ himself! This performance, my dear readers, was the favourite of many to date. Anna would do the moon walk like only MJ could. I tried very hard, I secretly try it when I am alone even today but No, this particular thing escapes my physical faculty. I hated him for it. The way he sashayed across the floor like an eel. The semi-spoilt kid that I was I would sit on my Mom's lap and wouldnt look at him. Jealousy!
An hour would go by and I would forget everything else and would come up with my own walk known as the "mars" walk. It basically was pretty simple and do-able. You walk normally backwards but put your hands forward and move it like the leg-motion in the moon-walk. My brother would then cheer me and I would sleep a happy kid.
I would do anything to get those days back again. I would.
Some such best memories of my life that i take everywhere with me in my mind's eye has been created amidst MJ's songs. Every good, bad and ugly happenings of mine have always been associated with music.
So here's to the King of Good Times, The King of Pop and To the eternalised King of Moon walk, We bow....

Update: An old classmate reminds me of my school performance on MJ's Heal the world.One of the best I have ever felt on stage was for it. :)

10 comments:

Ravishankar Iyer said...

So true. in my school days MJ was a craze. Even when i brought my first music system, i got a MJ history album free. This blog will relate to millions around the wrold. The moon walk was just awesome. U guys would remember the MJ special done by star world. WHere chris tucker and will smith join him on stage. Where he does all his songs.

My favorite song was "All i wanna say is that they dont really care about us." The whole video of the song with that many drummers was just unbelivable.

His show in mumbai where the whole stage curtain was sucked in for his entrance.

The earth song was the best song of all times.

U really brought all his memories back.

Malhar on June 26, 2009 at 3:22 PM said...

No matter how you little ppl stain his name
MJ is a legend
I believe people will still sing his songs untill the end of the days

RIP MJ..

Akansha Agrawal on June 26, 2009 at 5:03 PM said...

This is a complete shocker... I mean, one moment I am without a care in the world, and the next I learn MJ is dead... the first name that comes to mind is of course, Micheal Jackson, but considering as a not-even remote possibility, I go on to ask MJ who...

True, I haven't been a pop fan, but his moon walk is the most imitated step ever...

He'll be remembered...

Elvia on June 27, 2009 at 1:00 AM said...

This really is a cute post, but I wonder abt 'RIP Jackson' :(

Priti R on June 27, 2009 at 2:10 AM said...

@ravi,malhar,aks
(Nodding my head)

@elvia
thanks for the cute bit.read the last lines.like i said i associate every person,every feeling and every happening with a song,music,tune(you don't know me personally!).That way MJ is of the greatest relevance ever.(i am generally always singing if not listening to music :P)

paragn on June 30, 2009 at 9:59 AM said...

A true phenomenon he was.He sensationalized POP and was a synonym for it.His departure has surely created a vacuum that would be difficult to fill in.Still cant forget his moves in thriller
RIP Jackson

Narayana Swamy K on July 5, 2009 at 5:58 PM said...

hey

MJ was one of my favourite artists as well.. loved black or white, remember the time, Jam and Dangerous..may he rest in peace..

SS on July 8, 2009 at 3:35 PM said...

Awesome! Do you have any recordings of your Anna's performances?

Although, his Music was as Great, I would always remember this King Thriller for his style of Dance - his smooth movements and his quick turns.There would always be a surprise move he had for his fans and viewers(who would instantly turn fans).

I tried my fingers at giving him a tribute. Read on:
http://polishedcrap.wordpress.com/2009/06/27/my-tribute-to-the-pop-king/

SS on July 8, 2009 at 4:12 PM said...

Awesome! Do you have any recordings of your Anna's performances?

Although, his Music was as Great, I would always remember this King Thriller for his style of Dance - his smooth movements and his quick turns.There would always be a surprise move he had for his fans and viewers(who would instantly turn fans).

I tried my fingers at giving him a tribute. Read on:
http://polishedcrap.wordpress.com/2009/06/27/my-tribute-to-the-pop-king/

Vinod Ramamoorthy on July 26, 2009 at 1:22 PM said...

The fact is that we don't realize the musician's worth when he is alive. Truly sad that. MJ was laughed at and abused a year back for whatever he did with his personal life. People forgot that he is a legend. Now when he is no more, people are celebrating him.

 

A Pollyanna's Canvas Copyright © 2008 Green Scrapbook Diary Designed by SimplyWP | Made free by Scrapbooking Software | Bloggerized by Ipiet Notez